Glass House

My world is weirder than your world.

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Afternoon Date

Callie dragged me off to see Finding Neverland. I was resistant, but it turned out to be a wonderful movie. I had the wrong conception, y'see, as the last I'd read about J.M. Barrie was journalists playing up comparisons to Michael Jackson. (Intense interest in somebody else's kids and all.) But the film doesn't take that direction: he's an innocent, finding his muse by helping out a family that needs it. I did some more reading and it sounds like the movie plays a little loose with the order and manner in which things happened, but the basic spirit sounds plausible.

In any event, it's a terrific movie for writers, and I found myself tearing up a little on Callie's shoulder, starting at the whole "It's just a play! It doesn't matter!" bit. Yeah, I'm a sucker. Her opinion? "I liked all the imaginary stuff." Not deep, but I can't argue. Definitely worth the price of, well, Callie's ticket. (Do I pay for movies? No. Would you pay for movies if you were me?)

Even better was the preview for the film version of the Andrew Lloyd Webber version of Phantom of the Opera. I've seen the show so many times it started to grow stale on me, but hot damn, the movie looks good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home