Glass House

My world is weirder than your world.

Monday, December 13, 2004

Administrivia.

It's been five days, and already I'm getting sick of Blogspot. Changing fonts in midstream is the least of it. A comments system that won't let people sign their names unless they've got Blogger accounts is the most of it. And in the middle are a slew of minor technical annoyances.

I'm doing research into other blogging tools -- Movable Type vs. WordPress -- and I've started asking smart people about their comparative feature sets. My goal is a zero-hassle solution; while I know that's impossible, I'd like to at least try to approach it. Any thoughts?

The other ramification is that I'll have to get a domain. Have to figure out how to do that surreptitiously. Other John's head is really going to explode if people are able to WHOIS me.

4 Comments:

At December 13, 2004 at 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no such thing as hassle-free blogging, especially if you want to enable comments. We're happy with the latest version of Movable Type, plus MT Blacklist to stave off comment spam.

Teresa Nielsen Hayden
http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/

 
At December 13, 2004 at 2:15 PM, Blogger iJames said...

Thanks, Teresa. I knew that I was asking for the impossible. Having received the impossible from time to time, I'm probably spoiled. (Never by asking for it, but you never know.)

On the MT vs. WP question, I've established now that both have similar means to handle spam. So I'll have to decide on other merits. WordPress seems to be easier to set up and mess with; Moveable Type has more bells and whistles and it may be faster.

And of course there's the eternal battle of "philosophically free" vs. "market leader." As a Linux zealot, I'm supposed to have a flag already planted in the ground on this one, but I'm going to try to put religion aside and act pragmatically for once.

 
At December 15, 2004 at 11:31 AM, Blogger for said...

WordPress has recently won my devotion. There are plugins that will make your comments sit up and do backflips.

The WHOIS issue can, of course, be solved by having a mundane person register things for you...


Steph
http://www.sillybean.net/

 
At December 15, 2004 at 9:53 PM, Blogger iJames said...

Steph:
"The WHOIS issue can, of course, be solved by having a mundane person register things for you..."

Yes, and I'm thinking of that. It's a lucky coincidence that I happen to know one or two mundane people. (Before that I'd always thought they were mythical.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home